Old news around here that our kids are for the most part sugar free – particularly our 4yr old so her daycare has a few challenges, one is cooking. Luckily they came up with this gem for a cooking day, which I have taken and owned. It’s easy, kids can get involved, they’re healthy and they taste great!
so here it is for you…….
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
2 cups self-raising flour
30g butter, chopped
3/4 cup grated tasty cheese
1 cup milk
1-2 tablespoons vegemite, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 degrees celsius. Lightly grease an oven tray.
2. Sift flour into a bowl. Using fingertips rub in butter. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in milk. Using a bread and butter knife, mix quickly to a soft sticky dough.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently, then press out to a rectangle about 5mm thick, long side facing you.
5. Using a spatula, spread Vegemite completely over dough. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
6. Roll dough up like a swiss roll. Slice into 1.5cm slices. Arrange cut-side up on tray in a circle or other shape, slightly overlapping.
7. Bake 15 – 20 mins, until base sounds hollow when tapped. Cool slightly and serve.