If you haven’t been following the Tour de France or professional cycling in general feel free to drop past our house for a beat-you-over-the-head crash course…. Brief background, The Daddy really likes cycling. He owns bikes and rides regularly, dresses in lycra, and runs several cycling websites. Our little 4yr old boy, Miles is walking in his father’s footsteps and is completely obsessed by cycling. How obsessed is he?
* He can name most of the riders in the pro tour, what team they are in, what their kit looks like and whether they are a climber or a sprinter.
* His favourite rider is Mark Cavendish (He sobs his heart out if Cav loses a stage, pretends to be him when riding, wears green t-shirts as ‘jerseys’ and wants to be a sprinter)
* When he ‘win’s stages’ on his bike he zips up his pretend jersey and salutes crossing the line (he also added crying into his winning routine after Cav broke down last week)
* He can ‘read’ Toby’s Mag aka Ride Magazine’s Tour Bible cover to cover pointing out each rider, each stage map, how many and what type of climbs and who’s likely to win each stage
* He can name each pro jersey, who wins it and why
* He pretends to win cycling stages, stands on a pretend podium and gets his stuffed toys out for presentations (attended by his sister to kiss him like the podium girls).
* He spends every spare minute of his life riding his bike even if it’s just around the garage – He did 50kms in 2 weeks since his father put a bike computer on for him!
* He knows each category climb, what a peleton is, a break-away, a musette, a domestique, who Phil Liggett is and he talks back to Tommo’s commentary on SBS
* He wants to go to France to ride in the tour, he wants to ride for HTC Columbia
* On his bedroom wall is a map of France and the TdF stages and he puts a star on each stage as it’s complete, he also has a world map and flags to see where each rider is from
* He loves Cycling Central and is thrilled that Phil put Cav on it ‘for him’ 😉
* He watches his ‘old school bike racing video’Hell On Wheels every morning (or on rest days during the tour) and quotes the film IN GERMAN!
* After a serious spill last week he declared that he and Jens Voight are the two toughest bike racers (for the record Jens is pretty damn tough!)
* He does an awesome Jens Voight impression!
* When it’s too dark or wet to go outside he recreates crashes or wins using either his toy cars or the dining chairs (Tilly is always Renshaw leading him out)
* He has watched every pro cycling event this year and knows his Paris-Roubaix from his Tour de Suisse or his maglia rosa from his maillot jaune
Obsessed? Just a little!
So, as you can imagine it’s hard for any of us not to get caught up, just as Mulga Bill did, in the cycling craze. Particularly little 2yr old Tilly. Although she doesn’t share the boys obsession she now talks about Peletons in her sleep and refers to steep hills as HCs. She rides with Miles and participates in the presentations – although, Tilly is a real girly, girl and what she likes most about watching the tour are the ‘pretty bresses’ of the podium girls. She particularly wanted a spotty dress like the King of the Mountain jersey. SO, after cycling fashion advice from Susan at RocketFuel (who make gorgeous cycling fashion!) I ventured after fabric and here is the result inspired by those shocking umbrella frocks! Of course I can’t find pics of the podium girls from this year anywhere so you’ll just have to watch the highlights.
While i was shopping I found some fabric that reminded me of the yellow dresses that the Maillot Jaune presentation podium girls were wearing and decided to make one of those too.
So now we’re officially the House of Tour – great name for a fashion label, maybe we can take on the Forresters! Worse though, am I encouraging my daughter to become a podium girl?? oh save her please!!
So tonight is stage 16, with 2 HCs but could be won by a sprinter if they can get over the mountains! Are you with us now? SBS at 10 🙂